I decided to spend the afternoon buried in a book. I was reading The Marriage Plot (which is, so far, one of those I-wish-it-were-so-much-better-but-it’s-not-too-bad-so-I’m-going-to-finish-anyway books) when the rain started sprinkling on my pages. It would stop briefly and then start up again, like sitting under a very light, rotating lawn sprinkler. As a result, I spent a lot of time staring into space.
What I saw:
- A Pomeranian with a face so “cute” that it didn’t look real.
- A homeless man wearing a tweed suit jacket, sneakers, baggy black corduroy pants and pushing a shopping cart
- A lady pushing a stroller, wearing neon pink running shoes
- A middle-aged couple eating ham and cheese sandwiches
- A small girl in a pink dress hugging a flag pole
- Two people in the distance carrying Abercrombie and Fitch shopping bags – I could smell the store’s perfume from my park bench
There were either tourists, joggers, or families. Lots of people dragged small children and/or dogs along with them. There were horse carriages in the distance.
I soon went back to my book.